I have been thinking a lot about the different types of parently lately thanks for my anthropology class. It is interesting to see how parents around the world parent so different or sometimes similar. My opinion about how many America parents raise their children is less then mediocre. My grandmother talks about how when she was growing up they had to work for everything that had. They were not handed things, which made them appreciate it that much more. The lesson, hard work pays off. Dedication and commitment are something to be valued.
So I wonder where we lost this lesson, why most parents do not teach it any longer. I am SURROUNDED by over indulged, disrespectful children. Now I know that there is the typical teenage attitude but the ones that I see are taking it to a whole new level. They do not have a job but drive a nice car, they do not do well in school but carry Coach purses around. They have never paid a part of their insurance, gas or cell phone bill. They get upset when they are not handed money for nothing.
This bothers me, these teenagers bother me but what bothers me the most is their parents. My children have a lot of things but they also have more respect then the average 16 year old. They work for the things that they want. My son is 6 and already has chores, he is proud so himself when he gets his allowance after a week of doing all his chores. My little girl knows that her room must be kept clean or she doesn't get her allowance. She also helps out with the laundry. These things to me are not remarkable, I do not have children that are any different than any other child, it is our parenting. We expect things for our children, we will not indulge them throughout their life.
It seems that I am the odd man out many times when it comes to parenting in my family. I know deep down that everyone is my family wants all the children to succeed but it seems like no one is willing to take any action. It is easier for them I suppose to keep their mouth shut so that the children don't hate them.
I am one of those who could care less if they hate me. My job as a mother, aunt and friend is to help ensure that they will become productive, successful, appreciative, compassionate young adults. I feel like most people are not willing to put the work in anymore. To me that is failing your child. They need to direction, discipline and need to learn important life lessons. Instead of being a drain on society then need to learn to do something positive with themselves.
It is heart breaking to me to see all these children that have no idea what life is about. They have no idea what hard work is, oh so sad! My babies are my everything and I will do everything in my power to make sure that they are prepared the best they can be for the world. I refuse to have children that only a mother can love. I will continue to parent differently when it comes to raising my children because I know that I am doing what it best for them. My children know that I love them but they also know that we have expectations for them and that they have to show respect in everything they do.
I hope parents start taking parenting more seriously, these are people that you are sending out into the world. We as a society cannot afford to have anymore sponges. When you say no, mean it! Do not teach your child that if they hound you, you will give in. This is teaching them to manipulate people (not a good quality). Set some standard and expectations for your child, just passing school is not a healthy expectation! Letting your toddler be bossy and run the house is not cute! You are doing more harm them good. Most of all, love your children like there is no tomorrow! This means doing everything you can to ensure that they will be prepared if you are no longer around. Hug them, kiss them, and talk to them about their dreams and hopes. It is never to early to learn to set goals and dream.
I am not a perfect parent, that I can admit to. I make mistakes often but I am trying my best. Every day I strive to be a better mother. I do know that I have hopes for my beautiful children and will continue to do what it take to make sure that I prepare them for the big scary world.
Sorry for my rant but this is something that is important to me as a mother, I just don't understand why it is not as important to other parents?
This is such a great point. I can honestly say I feel so differently about parenting since the birth of my son. And I am completely with you.
ReplyDeleteI will be teaching Bennett the importance of self-sufficiency and self-reliance. To be non-judgmental and compassionate. I will teach him all of the things that are so often ignored by the majority of parents, and children these days. I am sure I will make many mistakes along the way but I will try my hardest!!
I agree so much with everything that you have mentioned (although you already knew that)! I can only HOPE the Em turns out to be independant, responsible, compassionate, non-judgemental, etc...! Four years later I am still fumbling through this parenting thing, and I know that I am so incredibly FAR from perfect! I'm not sure if I would even label myself as "Good Parent". All I can say is that I try. I try my hardest, and that is all any of us can do!
ReplyDelete